“If I am not for myself, then who will be for me? And if I am only for myself, then what am I? And if not now, when?”

Thursday, April 05, 2012

Injection-mania

I feel like a person stuck between the Private Practitioners who never explain their patients what they are suffering from and why should they be taking a certain drug , and the patients who are way too ignorant to ask and even more to understand.
I'm irritated when the patient tells me he wants an injection for COUGH.
I mean...come on, there is no pharmaceutical preparation for cough alone...and esp. cough as such. What gets even more annoying is when the patients keep ranting they want one.
 I mean...Hello!
I guess I'm the one with a white coat isn't it darling? Shouldn't I be making the calls here? huh?
But honestly, sometimes their ignorance is beyond my anger. All I do is put down my pen, look into his eyes, lend him my big smile...and explain. " Ajooba, cough sathi injection nasta ho, tapa sathi ahe...te lihila mi" (..it goes something like this.) =)

Oh, injection reminded me of a patient..who made my day! =D
She was a typical diarrheal patient on a busy tuesday. I prescribed her the regular at around 11:30am. She came back at 1:30pm, all noisy and frustrated and more over without my prescription. She said, she was waiting for her turn at the medicine counter and the nurse there lost her prescription!
Extremely angry.(imagine)
I calmed her down..and started to write a new one for her... =)

She cuts me and says, "Madam, woh injection diarrhea ke liye hai likhna huh...waha kutte ka bhi de rahe hai" (" Madam, specify in the prescription tht it is for a diarrhea patient...coz they r giving injections for dog bite there" ) =D

They have no idea what we write!! Just complete faith. Blind.
It's for patients like this that I will always keep on revising my knowledge, again and again...

Whatever..we had a great laugh when she left. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment