“If I am not for myself, then who will be for me? And if I am only for myself, then what am I? And if not now, when?”

Sunday, May 27, 2012

One day....

There is a point in everyone's life when we ask ourselves why actually we've chosen a certain field as our careers. And trust me, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence!

"I should have...; if only...; that went wrong...; ugh....; I don't wanna talk about that...." are the words people keep ready in their mouths waiting for the right trigger to spat them out. I was having a few such occasions when I was ready  to whine how the patients are undisciplined, how the hospital doesn't have enough resources, how the doctors just don't care enough, how the paramedical staff is lazy. And the list goes on.
Of course it came way early for me as compared.
Whatever!

So....today...me...appointed as the Emergency Medical Officer (due to lack of working MO's) ..was at the Casualty the entire day starting from 9 in the morning till 8 at night. You've heard about places where time stands still rite?.....well....I lived it!

When I came home I just had one word to describe it..."Nasha!"

Man....getting back the pulse of a patient with Cardiogenic shock following an infarction is such an achievement!
4 Patients with Rat poison ingestion....and the way they stabilize...huh! For a day I felt so alive...and time flew..I don't know how. My brain was so concentrated on each of the patient that no other thought even mingled in the darkest corner of my messed up brain!

There I was..among people dying and people crying...giving both of them hope ..of whatever is left with me.
I always thought I cannot work under pressure but I was so wrong.

I can..I sure can Bitch!
It's been 2 months that I 've started my internship and have been polishing my 'physician skills' consulting patients. Won't say burning my ass in the OPD chairs was a mistake coz those 2 months gave me good friends and once again told me how good I can teach (ahem ahem =D )

Well, with everyone gone and finished up with their work...this was an excellent individual start I could have ever have had!

5 comments:

  1. So rash, finally happy??? Still, you've lot to come. But 1 thing I would like to mention, as I described it "NASHA" it exactly isn't it. In this nasha, you wouldn't actually see a tachyphylaxis but however tolerance develops in due course of time. The euphoria is lost.
    And, if you remain honest with yourselves, then there's just a satisfaction, that you are gonna feel everytime you get back the pulse.
    And then, as time passes, when start observing this OPP and snake bite and rat poison poisoning AMI, CVA, etc..., wen u examine them everyday, wen their condition is improving, you get a relief, which cannot be compared with anything else.
    And then, by the time you are finishing your internship, you don't even remember how many pats you've saved. You will not remember many of them, but many of them will remember you, wen they somehow learn about your proposed exit, they are like "Kay Saheb kashala jata aamhala sodun?" or something similar to this upto such an extent, that after you leave, you are forced to think, that "ain't I mistaking leaving this place?" that's wat I feel. Let's c, how it's for you, coz our experiences are almost always similar. Hope u change the sad ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm happy!!
      I was in a trance untill I had to sit in the same ortho opd this morning...
      Apni aukat mein aake ...bahot ajeeb lag rhaa tha =P

      ...n talking abt sad endings....u really think I dont have one already??? =)

      Delete