“If I am not for myself, then who will be for me? And if I am only for myself, then what am I? And if not now, when?”

Monday, October 01, 2012

Pudhcya varshi lavkar ya...


The Ganesh festival is over. Sad. Not because now Ma won't make her special modak anymore for an entire year. (Yea rite I'd be lying if I say so. =P )
Once a friend asked me which my favorite festival is, by which he meant when I feel I should be at home with my family and no where else...and without a second thought I said "Ganpatiii" =D
Let me take you a few years back.
It was autumn of 1984. A newly married couple who had just begun living away from their family, to a place where the husband was posted, was having their daily dose of midnight chats. And around 2 they both decide they should celebrate the festival by bringing the ganpati home. The festival starts the next day. So they get up and started hammering nails in the wall for the decoration and hangings and lights. I repeat again, it was 2 at night. =)
Alarmed, the neighbors woke up and came over, to check what's wrong or if there was a fight between the newly weds!! After a long explanation and a hearful of laughter, they decorated the rest and thus began the tradition of Ganesh Stapana.

They were my parents. And there was love. What else do you need for any festival?!
The early morning aarti, the evening special prasad my Ma makes, the secret 'Khirapat' receipe my Ma boasts of, the Ganpati jap at my place...the beautiful decoration, the smell of agabattis lingering around my room...Yes, I missed all of it for the last 6 years. This year filled up the void. All n for all. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment